Using PEAR without CLI PHP?

James-2
I'm trying to get pear up and running on a hosted environment where I
don't have a command line copy of PHP, only an apache module.  It's
running on FreeBSD 4.7 release p28 if that helps.  So far I have
installed the base PEAR installation with the script from go-pear.org

I don't think that I'm going to be able to successfully compile a copy
of PHP to get the command line copy, and so far it sounds like I'll need
to either download the PEAR packages and install them manually, or set
up a localhost only virtual server that serves the PEAR install
directory and re-write the pear bash executeable to invoke lynx instead
of php.  The PEAR install directory is readable by the web-server and in
the php include path, but not in the DocumentRoot.

Does anyone on the list have any better ideas on how to do this?

Many Thanks,
--James Michael-Hill

Re: Using PEAR without CLI PHP?

Greg Beaver
James wrote:

> I'm trying to get pear up and running on a hosted environment where I
> don't have a command line copy of PHP, only an apache module.  It's
> running on FreeBSD 4.7 release p28 if that helps.  So far I have
> installed the base PEAR installation with the script from go-pear.org
>
> I don't think that I'm going to be able to successfully compile a copy
> of PHP to get the command line copy, and so far it sounds like I'll need
> to either download the PEAR packages and install them manually, or set
> up a localhost only virtual server that serves the PEAR install
> directory and re-write the pear bash executeable to invoke lynx instead
> of php.  The PEAR install directory is readable by the web-server and in
> the php include path, but not in the DocumentRoot.
>
> Does anyone on the list have any better ideas on how to do this?

There are at least 2 better alternatives.

If you have a complete mirror of your production server on a development
machine, simply ftp the exact directory structure.  Otherwise, you can
use the methods described by:

http://pear.php.net/manual/en/installation.shared.php

Greg

Re: Using PEAR without CLI PHP?

Justin Patrin
On 5/9/05, James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to get pear up and running on a hosted environment where I
> don't have a command line copy of PHP, only an apache module.  It's
> running on FreeBSD 4.7 release p28 if that helps.  So far I have
> installed the base PEAR installation with the script from go-pear.org
>
> I don't think that I'm going to be able to successfully compile a copy
> of PHP to get the command line copy, and so far it sounds like I'll need
> to either download the PEAR packages and install them manually, or set
> up a localhost only virtual server that serves the PEAR install
> directory and re-write the pear bash executeable to invoke lynx instead
> of php.  The PEAR install directory is readable by the web-server and in
> the php include path, but not in the DocumentRoot.
>
> Does anyone on the list have any better ideas on how to do this?

Try the web installer.

--
Justin Patrin