problem installing pecl/json | cannot find config.m4

problem installing pecl/json | cannot find config.m4

Michael Varre-3
Sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting this but I couldn't think of
anywhere else that would make sense.

Trying to install pecl/json via pear on Ubuntu 10.04.2 and I receive the
following:

root@server:~# pear install pecl/json
downloading json-1.2.1.tgz ...
Starting to download json-1.2.1.tgz (17,780 bytes)
......done: 17,780 bytes
11 source files, building
running: phpize
Cannot find config.m4.
Make sure that you run '/usr/bin/phpize' in the top level source directory
of the module

ERROR: `phpize' failed

All the research I've done say I need to run phpize from within the source
directory. However since I'm trying to install this via pear, I'm not sure
how that would apply. phpize does exist. Not sure where config.m4 is or
should be.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: problem installing pecl/json | cannot find config.m4

Bill Shupp
Modern php distrubutions have this avaiable by default.  Try "apt-cache
search php | grep json", and you'll likely find php-json or php5-json, which
you can install with "apt-get install php5-json".

If you really need to build it, you'll need php development libraries,
probably php-dev on ubuntu.

Bill